Fall protection is important to reduce the number of fatalities that occur when people work at heights. People can often lose their balance when they work at heights, and a protection system would help them to stay safe from falling on the ground and hurting themselves. The risk of falling can be reduced with the help of proper height safety and fall protection solutions. Falls are very common when people are working at heights, and without the proper measures, workers can even lose their life. This could be a great loss for human life and manpower for the organization, and even drag the company in an unnecessary legal trouble. So, let’s have a look into the required protection solutions possible.
Types of Height Safety and Fall Protection Solutions
Fall protection equipment helps in keeping the workers safe and sound when they are working at heights. The equipment should be kept in place by every organization to ensure that the people who are working for them would not suffer any injury or fatality, in case they lose their balance during work or are faced with any other situations which might cause harmful and lead to sudden incidents. There are different kinds of fall protection equipment which are used as height safety and fall protection solutions.
- Safety Net Systems: Safety net systems are a kind of net which can be spread all through the construction site. They can catch any falling object or can reduce the momentum with which the object or person is falling. This helps to cut off the speed or force of the fall, so that they do not hit the ground at high speed and hurt themselves.
- Fall Restraint Systems: These systems prevent the people from falling from heights or from the edge of any work which is going on at a high rise. It is a harness that is attached to the worker which does not let them fall over the edge.
- Fall Arrest Systems: Just like a fall restraint system, the fall arrest system also has a harness which is attached to the worker. However, the difference between the two lies in the fact that the fall arrest system allows the person to fall but prevents the person from hitting the floor during the fall.
- Guardrail System: This system is perhaps the safest protection solution against fall. This is because the guardrail is given to prevent the workers from falling. Due to the presence of the rail, the workers can align while working without falling.
- Warning Line Systems: These height safeties and fall protection solutions warn the worker beforehand about the presence of an end line or edge, so that the workers can go back without having to suffer a fall.
Tips for Height Safety and Fall Protection Solutions
with placing the fall protection systems, there are certain things that
should be kept in mind to ensure that the systems are used in the
proper way. Here are a few tips to follow:
- The workers who work at heights should be properly trained and informed about the fall protection systems so that they know their correct usage.
- Safety training should be given to those workers who work at height on a regular basis.
- The systems must be checked at regular intervals to ensure that none of the systems have suffered any wear and tear.
- The safest form of fall protection system is guardrails and organizations should try to install them at most times.
- The elevated platform on which the workers climb and work should be strong and sturdy so that there is no risk of it breaking.
It is important for an organization to adopt height safety and fall protection solutions, because they help in keeping the workers safe from any fall related injury, disability or death. Working at height cannot be avoided, but the application of right measures can save a life for sure.