The City of Melbourne is a vibrant city known for its nightclubs, restaurants and pubs. It is essentially the cultural hub of Victoria. The Corona virus and subsequent lockdowns and restriction have had a really negative impact on businesses, especially in the entertainment industry. To revive the economy and breathe life into the entertainment and hospitality industry, the city of Melbourne and the Victorian government launched an initiative called Melbourne Money, which basically give rebates to customers who spend anything between $650 and $500 at the numerous restaurants. Customers can claim 20% of the total food and beverage bill.
Reviving the Economy
But that is not all that the city of Melbourne is doing to restore the vibrancy of Melbourne and encourage people to support the local hospitality industry. Before the Melbourne Money initiative was launched, the City of Melbourne introduced a new initiative titled ‘FOMO Freebies’, there are thousands of tickets up for grabs for you to catch adult fun at NGV Friday Nights. National Gallery of Victoria has launched some grown-up shows, from highbrow French Impressionism art installations featuring world-renowned international artists like Monet, Cézanne, Renoir and many more works of art that have never been seen in Melbourne.
NGV Friday nights aren’t just about art exhibitions but it offers some of the best things that Australia has to offer like locally produced wines and local musicians.
Some of the musicians you can expect to see at an NGV Friday Night include:
- Squid Nebula – The Melbourne based five-piece jazz, soul and disco bands will keep you bopping or dancing to the tunes. They are slated to perform on the 23rd July.
- Eilish Gilligan – this pop music artists has established herself as the one of the best songwriter and singer in Melbourne. She is known for her versatile and captivating performances.
- GL – GL’s music sound like and 80’s psychedelic dream sequence. They deliver a delicious repertoire of pop, new wave, electro-punk and RnB.
There are many more bands that are slated to make an appearance at the NGV Friday Nights like Ali Barter and the Akosia.
FOMO Freebies will get you free theatre tickets and all other tickets for gigs happening throughout Melbourne. This will go on until Sunday July 18, 2021.
The vouchers can also be used at the Queen Victoria Market, The Melbourne Star Observation, the Melbourne Aquarium and other places.
Tourism is a big industry in Melbourne, however, with travel restrictions, Australia isn’t getting as many tourists as it should be getting to boosting the economy, which is why the government is encouraging people to explore their own cities and experience the hidden cultural gems out there without having to break the bank doing so.
In addition to FOMO Freebies, the government has introduced an ambitious $8.4m to reignite the hospitality industry after the lockdown. This is to encourage Melbournians to explore and experience their local sights and attractions.
This program is available throughout Melbourne including areas like Kensington, North Melbourne, Docklands, Southbank, Lygon Street, and Chinatown
How does this incredible rebate work?
You can do these 3 things:
- You order your meal, take your time enjoying and when the bill comes pay it in full. Take the itemized bill with you when you leave.
- Go to the Melbourne Money Website to upload your receipt and enter your own bank details.
- The 20% rebate will be deposited to your bank account within five business days
This initiative works on a first-come-first- served basis. However, it will be available until the funds are depleted.